Views from a Paris window   +  weddings

Vintage Noir ~ Weddings à la parisienne

Several months ago I was commissioned by a sweet Etsy customer to create six black velvet and nude fabric flowers for her champagne, cappuccino, and black Fall 2011 wedding-Sounds lavishly rich doesn't it? These flowers were fashioned to accessorize her wedding cake.
Velvet flowers on a wedding cake?
This is going to be some kind of wedding!

Many of my long-time followers may remember the post I wrote over a year ago about this lovely Dior-inspired flower.

After she received the fabric flowers for her wedding cake, she requested a custom-made ring pillow. For a brief moment after reading her email, I panicked. That meant getting out the sewing machine and sewing something all.by.myself.
Sure, I've sewn a few things. Heck, my mom is a seamstress, and I grew up watching her sew wedding dresses, pillows, prom dresses, doll clothes... but this time I had to do it, and someone would be paying me!
I wasn't going to wuss out on this one. It's a ring pillow, right?

My first Parisienne Ring Pillow

One piece of advice that my sister-in-law gave me when I started my business was:
"Never turn down a custom job, even if it means making something you've never tried. You never know what it will turn into."

I've remembered these words so many times when customers request things I've never made, and you know what, those custom orders have been some of the best things I've ever made-not to mention the most enjoyable to make.

seven handmade noir chiffon flower pins by à la parisienne

Here's another recent custom order for seven bridesmaids.
Black seems to be à la mode for weddings now days.

How I wish I could see the professional photos of these weddings and maybe catch a glimpse of an item that I made gracing such a beautiful day.

images by à la parisienne