Views from a Paris window   +  weddings

I've Fallen for Ivory- Vintage Vavoom!

Vogue 1950 - photo from Flickr.com

Why don't women dress like this anymore? I realize styles evolve and bits and pieces of older trends pop up in today's fashion, but I would love to dress like these ladies. I try to find pieces that evoke that vintage feeling, but would I get away with wearing this type of hat that the woman is sporting below? Yeah, I could wear it in Texas, in the country, but cowboy hats and baseball caps are the only hats on women around here. When did baseball caps on women replace beautifully structured hats? When did the daily wear of windpants, hoodies, and tennis shoes replace pleated, floral dresses, tailored peacoats, and leather pumps? I long to dress like a woman- a woman with vivacity, personality, and modesty. Even my husband tells me that he wishes that I would wear dresses more often.

Vogue 1950 - photo from Flickr.com

There was a time when women wore darker lipstick rather than nude shaded gloss or chapstick! Do you dare wear a rich shade of crimson?

Vogue 1950- photo from Flickr.com

And gloves... are they an extinct accessory?


Vogue 1953- photo from Flickr.com

Today I will be attending an outdoor wedding, and I would love to wear a dress like this, of course another color would more socially appropriate. Besides vintage shops and expensive boutiques, where would an oridanary gal find such a dress? Not at JC Penny's!