Views from a Paris window   +  The Met

Oh Christian, you shouldn't have... ...

I could not help but giggle when a client sent me this link to this delicious Christian Dior dress that is part of the permanent collection of The Met. Dubbed "Cherie" it is a wondrous dinner dress from the S/S 1947 collection. In a world that is rapidly erring towards the glitz, the bling, the flashier the better, the let's see how many colors we can cram onto one body at one time (which I love btw, don't get me wrong on that front)... ..it is almost refreshing to the eye to see such exquisite simplicity. But it is a deceptive simplicity. Each pleat on this dress is carefully hand sewn and placed. The undercarriage of this simple dress is most likely the equivalent of couture armour and would mold and shape a girl to conform to the silhouette of the dress, rather then the dress conforming to hers. It is absolute simplicity hiding absolute complexity.
And since it is also a dress that I just happen to share the same name with... . how can I possibly not have fallen in love with it?