Views from a Paris window   +  review

English Pear & Freesia by Jo Malone

Have you ever been on a date with somebody who ticks all the boxes, but you just don't fancy? He's good-looking, with a great dress-sense, got lots to talk about, but somehow he just doesn't have that certain something? That's slightly how I feel about English Pear & Freesia. I want to love it. It's flowery and fruity, and beautifully composed. But on a personal level, it just doesn't grab me.

The perfumer, Christine Nagel, is the creator behind perfumes for Dolce & Gabbana, Thierry Mugler and Cartier, to name but a few. Most notably for me, she worked with Francis Kurkdjian on Narciso Rodriguez For Her, a major success. The drydown of English Pear and Freesia has some shades of Narciso Rodriguez For Her, but I couldn't put my finger on what exactly.

English Pear & Freesia is destined to be a runaway success. It's a beautiful fragrance, and I look forward to seeing how well it does. It's the FIRST fragrance that complete strangers have complimented me on. Oh why can't I love you English Pear? I feel deficient for not loving this fragrance. It's like when all your friends and your Mum love your boyfriend, but you'd rather be on your own reading a good book.

Other Jo Malone fragrances featured on my incude Nutmeg and Ginger and the Jo Malone Cologne Intense perfume series.