Views from a Paris window   +  Romantique

Dressing Baby: Adding a Personal Touch

If I had to describe my sense of style, I would have to say that I am a non-traditionalist. Red and green Christmas decorations-boring (for me anyway). Bubble gum pink with Disney characters on my kid's clothing-so typical! However, I do love pink on a little girl, especially dusty rose, pale blush, vintage ballerina slipper pink...

I absolutely love romantic fabrics- satin, silk, velvet, linen, and taffeta, and I become giddy if I find a single item of clothing for my daughter that evokes that sense of romantic femininity. Felecia, my sister-in-law (who is an endless source of inspiration for me) gave my daughter this beautiful yet simple ivory, velvet dress. This basic dress was the perfect canvas for me to personalize.

First of all, I am a novice at sewing, and at this point in my life, I have no desire to sew an entire outfit. Thus, if I am going to sew something,, I am just going to sew ONTO something already made. With this basic dress, I created three different dresses. These changes are very simple and were quite effortless since I only allotted 15 minutes for each look, which included the creative process, gathering (finding) materials, and sewing.

I added a dark beige velvet millinery flower and a rhinestone pin to this dress.

This dress just has a double ebony gray ribbon with a small rhinestone button.
The dress at the top has a small ivory buckle with an opalescent pink ribbon.

My reason for sharing these ideas is that I think sometimes we have very closed minds when we shop for clothing be it for ourselves or our families. I refuse to pay an unreasonable amount of money for a pretty dress when I can create one that is unique and exactly the way I want it by just making a few simple changes.