Views from a Paris window   +  Home

Mr. A la parisienne, the carpenter

This post is dedicated to my wonderful, very talented husband {Mr. A la parisienne} who made this very beautiful custom cabinet for our master bathroom.

Five years ago we completed renovations on our 1898 victorian farmhouse.
As I was designing our masterbath, I knew that I wanted real pieces of furniture for storage-no mass-produced cabinets allowed! I had decided that I would search in antique shops and flea markets for a "medicine,towel,toiletry" cabinet.

In the meantime, our bathroom only had two real places for storage-our vanity/sink and a very cheap, diminuitive cabinet I bought at Hobby Lobby (You know, the "furniture" you find in the unfinished wood section???) Yeah, the cheap little cabinet I had in my college apartment!
Let's just say the 1 foot wide by 4 foot tall HobLob cabinet looked quite pitiful standing in our our bathroom with 11'6'' ceiling.

After five years of searching, I still never found what I was looking for...
So, it finally occured to me to ask my husband to make me a cabinet for our bathroom. Within the hour of asking him, he had me draw a rough sketch of what I had in mind, and in a couple of weeks, he was beginning to build.

A little bit about mon mari:
My husband is a contractor, who loves restorating old homes.
My husband loves to build things... anything.
My husband thrives on projects...

After several weekends at his friend's cabinet-making shop, where he (with the help of his friend) were able to use all of the necessary tools for cabinet-making, he brought the cabinet home!

I must say I was so impressed at his work! This cabinet is better than any antique because he made it with his very own hands for our home.

Thank you, babe, for the wonderful job you did, and I must say you did an excellent job...

And did I mention this was his first time to make a piece of furniture?