Views from a Paris window   +  wearing vintage

How to Style Pin Curls


1. Pin up all of your hair except for a section at the bottom. 2-4. Spray with water and begin taking small sections (about 1 inch) and rolling the hair up to the root. Pin in place. 5-6. Once you finish with the bottom section, release a new section from the pinned hair and continue as before. Do this until all hair is rolled and pinned in place. If you have any shorter hair left on the side, take it and pin it around one of the curls. 7-8. Finish off your bangs by wetting thoroughly and rolling to the hairline. Tips: If you have shorter bangs you may need mousse or gel to hold them in place. These curls are also great as "no heat" curls, but using bobby pins will create a dent in the curl. Instead, use 2 prong curl clips (also known as pin curl clips).


I happened to stumble across this lovely little pictorial on the blog A Beautiful Mess. The girl with the gorgeous red hair is Katie, author of the quirking and cute blog Skunkboy Creatures. It makes it looks so simple and straight forward I had to share it with you!
My take on wearing vintage is usually to start with a fabulous vintage dress and then keep everything else modern — the shoes, bag, make-up and hair. To be quite honest I tend to be a 5 minute get dressed and go girl. Though I envy admire women who can do the old Hollywood full on glam "done hair" look I usually end up as an utter fail when I try it at home myself and end up going out the door with a ponytail to hide the mess I made. This tutorial makes it look SO easy that I just might give it a go. You?
all pix are Katie's own